Tuesday 12 March 2013

Tribal Instinct III

Last weekend was the incredible Leeds University Union East African Society fashion show; Tribal Instinct III. I was lucky enough to be involved, creating two outfits as part of a Collection by Leeds University fashion students.

The show itself was amazing displaying the best aspects of East African culture; dance, music and fashion all coming together in aid of Tumaini Children’s Home, a Kenyan charity which supports destitute children with education, food and clothes.

Photo by Salmon Media Collective (@_Salmonmedia on twitter)


The starting point for the collection was the vibrant nature of East African culture, especially the broad range of bold colours and patterns used in native fabrics (see my Pinterest for the inspiration board).  In my outfits I wanted the focus to be on the patterns on the fabric so I decided to keep the designs of the garments quite simple, I also wanted to play with the idea of African fashion meeting British fashion so I decided to combine the African fabrics with traditional western garments to create a collection with a sense of cultural fusion.


The outfits I made up can be seen below on the stand but soon I'll post some pictures from the night showing them fully styled. Congratulations to the Tribal Instinct III team for hosting such an amazing night and to all the other designers that took part for their stunning work. Take a look at http://zoelipscomb.blogspot.co.uk/ to see Zoe Lipscomb's take on our collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment